Friday, May 25, 2007

A new name

My boss here is a Canadian guy. He's married to a Finnish woman. They met in Yemmen. Now they live sometimes in China and sometimes in Finland. Did I lose you yet? Such is life when the world is your community! Anyway, they are here now and they have 3 adorable little girls! Today we babysat the girls so that their parents could go on a date (apparently it's been over a year since they were on a date... good grief!) We painted our nails, played outside with bouncy balls, watched a movie, and made chocolate chip cookies! It was both fun and exhausting! So apparently "Tanya" in Finnish sounds something like "Tiny-ya." And to the girls this apparently sounds a bit like "China." Yep, that's right. They think my name is "China." I had to leave this afternoon to teach a class, and when I came back home, all 3 ran to me with their arms outstretched yelling, "China, China!!!" Oh dear! Miss Hamburger has aquired a new nick-name! From now on, you may all refer to me fondly as "China."

No comments: