Tuesday, May 29, 2007

The imaginary break-in

I have sleep issues. It takes me forever to fall asleep, and then once I do I'm a super light sleeper so any noise or light wakes me up! It's worse when I'm stressed (it takes even longer to fall asleep and then I have nightmares or toss and turn a lot, etc.) Right now I'm under some stress (I don't know why... I'm only leaving China in a month and moving to a new place... and thinking about a job, apartment, car, finances, etc... what's to be stressed about?) All that to say that last night I was tossing and turning and just on the brink of falling asleep when I heard a noise. It sounded like a thud... almost like someone had just shut the window. I got a little scared, but turned over and began falling asleep again. A little while later I heard the noise again. This time I totally woke up... and I was terrified. I looked at my clock. It was 1:30 am. I was certain someone had climbed in our window and was in the apartment ready to steal stuff and hurt me. I wanted Vanessa to be IN my bed next to me... but she's in the other room... in HER bed, where she should be. "Ok," I thought, "I can do this. I'll just get up, turn on my light, and go out into the living room and check to make sure everything is ok." I sat up. I heard the noise again and was now paralyzed with fear. I needed a weapon. It was dark in my room and my head was reeling thinking about what I could use to knock someone out. My trumpet! YES! I grabbed it! Now I was sitting at the edge of my bed holding a trumpet on my lap in the dark. I just couldn't muster up enough courage to get up and go out into the living room. I finally chickened out and laid back down, holding my trumpet to my chest. And somehow I fell asleep. Imagine my surprise when I woke up hours later, cuddling with my trumpet. Oh dear! I am totally going to be one of those women who wakes her husband up in the middle of the night saying, "Honey, did you hear that? I heard something. Go check it out." But have no fear... I'll offer him my trumpet to use as a weapon!

2 comments:

Shoemaker Family said...

That was awesome...that must be where I get my night time fear from...I can totally imagine the sounds are footsteps coming to the bedroom.

Please write a book about the many uses for trumpet...

Love you, friend!

Deven said...

That's hilarious. Musical instruments are totally great weapons. I myself recommend a trombone for the slide action.